Doctors & Staff
Meet the experienced and friendly doctors and staff who make Wilson EyeCare Associates the leading provider of vision care products and services in Williamson.
Steven C. Wilson, O.D.
- Williamson High School Graduate, 1974, Williamson, WV
- Attended Southern West Virginia Community College, 1977-1978
- Southern College of Optometry, Doctor of Optometry, Bachelor of Science, 1978-1982
- Senior Externship, Gordon Butterfield, O.D, Charleston, WV, 1981
- Senior Externship, St. Luke’s Hospital, New Port Richey, FL, 1982
- Member of the American Optometric Association since 1982
- Member of the West Virginia Optometric Association since 1982
- Past member of The National Association of Sports Vision, Contact Lens Section of the America Optometric Association
In 1950, my father, J.H. Wilson, O.D., began practicing Optometry here in Williamson with Dr. J. F. Brown. Several years later, Dr. Brown retired, leaving my father with the solo practice. He practiced general Optometry with heavy emphasis in geriatric care. In 1962, the office was relocated from the Ammar Building to 106 Logan Street. In June 1996, we proudly opened our freestanding building at 126 West 2nd Avenue. This 3200 square foot, state-of-the-art facility offers the most modern equipment and computerization as well as ample parking for our staff and patients.
G. Shawn Sammons, O.D.
- Matewan High School, 2005; Matewan, WV
- Bachelor of Science, Marshall University, 2010; Huntington, WV
- Doctor of Optometry, Indiana University, 2014; Bloomington, IN
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Huntington, WV
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Lexington, KY
- Internship, Atwater Eye Care Center; Bloomington, IN
- Internship, Indianapolis Eye Care Center; Indianapolis, IN
- Member, American Optometric Association, 2010-Present
- Member, WV Association of Optometric Physicians, 2011-Present
G. Shawn Sammons, O.D., a lifelong resident of Mingo County, is a 2005 graduate of Matewan High School. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from Marshall University in 2010 with honors. Shawn graduated from the Indiana University School of Optometry in Bloomington, IN in 2014. There, he was a member of the Gold Key International and Beta Sigma Kappa optometric honor societies, the Private Practice Club, and served as an associate instructor for underclassmen clinical science courses. He was also a member of the Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH) group where he spent time in Guanajuato, Mexico providing volunteer eye care services to underserved citizens of central Mexico.
He is a member of the American Optometric Association and the West Virginia Association of Optometric Physicians. Having recently graduated, Shawn is well trained to practice full-scope optometry as defined by the West Virginia laws. His special interests include primary eye care for all ages, contact lenses (including soft lenses for astigmatism and multifocal lenses as well as specialty scleral lenses), treatment and management of ocular diseases (including glaucoma and dry eye), and refractive surgery consultation.
In his spare time, Shawn enjoys playing golf, traveling, watching sports (especially Indiana basketball and Marshall football), and spending time with his family. He is excited to have achieved his lifelong dream to become an optometrist and is looking forward to becoming involved in his community to help better the quality of life for people in the Tug Valley area. Further, he is excited to help his fiancée, Dr. Laura Suppa, plan their upcoming wedding. Laura is also an optometrist who practices in Charleston, WV.